Who is responsible for maintaining the watercourses running through my land?


The principal responsibility usually lies with the owner of the land adjoining the watercourse. If a channel is marked as a Swale & Ure drain the Board’s Byelaws will apply and the Board will often undertake required works. However, under the Land Drainage Act 1991 the Board is enabled but not required to undertake drainage works.